Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our services, to communicate with you, or to make our services better. We collect this information from three sources: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information we collect from each of these.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information you provide to us directly. Here are some examples:
- Basic account information like your name, username, password, email address, and phone number when you register for an account on our site.
- Profile information you provide for your user account, like a profile photo or your gender.
- Feedback or correspondence, like when you contact us with questions or comments.
- Financial information if you subscribe to any of our paid services or make a purchase on our site.
- Usage details about how you use our services. For example, we may collect information about the types of content you view on our site or the frequency and duration of your activities.
- Any other information you choose to directly provide to us in connection with your use of our services.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
Log Information: Like most online services, we automatically collect certain log information when you use our services. This may include your IP address, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used our services, and cookie data.
Device Information: We may collect information about the device you use to access our services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, software and file names and versions, preferred language, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial number, device motion information, and mobile network data.
Location Information: With your consent, we may collect information about the precise location of your device when you use our mobile applications or services. We use GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi connections, and crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations to determine your device’s approximate location.
Information from Third-Party Partners: We may collect information that third parties provide about you when you use our services, like when you make purchases or interact with our ads and content on third-party sites.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other third party sources. For example:
- We may collect demographic data or data about your interests from third party analytics providers and data aggregators.
- If you sign in using a third party service like Google or Facebook, we will have access to certain information from that service, such as your name, basic profile information, and friends list.
- We may collect information about you when you post content to our pages/feeds on third-party social networks.
- We may collect information regarding customer feedback surveys from third parties on our behalf.
- We may receive information about you from business partners if you link or integrate our services into your website or mobile application.
- We may collect information about you when we process payments with third party payment services providers.
How We Use Information
We only use your information where we have a legal basis to do so. This is typically where we need to use the information to deliver our services to you, to comply with our legal obligations, or where we have your consent. Here are the main ways we use your information and the legal bases we rely on.
To Provide Our Services
This includes using information necessary performing the services we offer through our website and mobile applications, like:
- Creating and managing your account.
- Processing payments for any purchases made on our website.
- Communicating with you about your account, activities on our site, and policy changes.
- Customizing the content and layout of our website based on your preferences.
- Analyzing your use of our services to understand and improve our service offerings.
Our legal basis for these activities is to perform the contract governing use of our services and to pursue our legitimate interest in improving and customizing our services.
For Research and Development Purposes
We use information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions connected to our services. Our legal basis for these activities is to pursue our legitimate interests in managing our services appropriately.
To Communicate with You
We use contact information to respond to questions and comments you submit to us and communicate with you about our services, promotions, and events. Our legal basis is to pursue our legitimate interest in effectively communicating with you.
To Create Anonymous Data for Analytics and Reporting
We may create aggregated and anonymized data sets from the Personal Data we have collected. This is done to analyze our services, develop targeted marketing, analyze market trends, train machine learning algorithms, and for other legitimate business purposes. Our legal basis is to pursue our legitimate interests in understanding use of our services and ensuring they are optimized.
To Show Relevant Advertisements
We may use Personal Data we have collected (like your demographic information, content you have viewed, location data, and favorite features) to tailor and deliver relevant ads to you on our services and on other sites. Our legal basis is to pursue our legitimate interest in effectively marketing our services.
To Protect Our Services and Users
Where required by law or where we believe necessary to protect the rights and safety of others and our business, we may use Personal Data in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory, and audit functions, and disclosures in connection with the acquisition, merger or sale of a business. Our legal basis is to comply with our legal obligations and pursue our legitimate interests in protecting our business.
With Your Consent
We rely on your consent for collecting and using certain Personal Data. For example, we would seek your permission before using your precise location data for certain purposes.
Where We Store Your Information
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which we collect and use it — described in the section above on How We Use Information — and we are not legally required to keep it. For example, we keep your account information while your account is active and for a reasonable period thereafter in case you decide to re-activate your account. When determining how long to keep information, we take into account factors like legal obligations, the nature and sensitivity of the information, and potential risks.
How We Share Information
We do not sell or rent your Personal Data to third parties for marketing purposes. However, we may disclose your Personal Data within our family of companies or to third parties in the categories below.
We use third parties to help us provide our services and manage our business. Service providers may have access to your information only for the purpose of performing services on our behalf, and they must sign a contract agreeing to handle it responsibly and keep it secure.
Partners and Integrated Services
You may be able to use your account to interact with or purchase services from partners we work with. We may share your Personal Data with partners like payment processors and third party identity verification services when you register for their services through our platform.
Legal Compliance and Security
In the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of all or a portion of our assets, or transition of service to another provider (collectively a “Transaction”), your information may be shared in the diligence process with counterparties and others assisting with the Transaction and transferred to a successor or affiliate as part of the Transaction.
With Your Consent or At Your Request
We may ask for your consent to share your Personal Data with third parties. In any such case, we will make it clear why we want to share the information.
We may share non-Personal Data that does not directly identify you publicly and with third parties – like publishers, advertisers, and providers of measurement and analytics services.
Other Important Information About Your Privacy Here are a few other basics about privacy and your use of our services:
Information You Share Publicly Any information you choose to share publicly on our website, like posting a comment on a forum or under an article, can be viewed, collected and used by others, including to send you unsolicited messages. We cannot control who sees such information or what other parties do with information you share publicly.
Information for Users in the European Economic Area (EEA) If you reside in the EEA, you have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including:
- The right to access your Personal Data held by us (right to access);
- The right to correct inaccurate Personal Data we hold about you (right to rectification);
- The right to have your Personal Data deleted (right to erasure or “right to be forgotten”);
- The right to restrict our use of your Personal Data in certain situations (right to restriction of processing);
- The right to receive the Personal Data you provided to us for contract performance or with your consent in a machine readable format, where technically feasible (right to data portability);
- The right to object to us processing your Personal Data for our legitimate business interests or for direct marketing purposes (right to object).
Where our processing of your Personal Data is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority if you believe we have not complied with applicable data protection laws.
Information for Users in California If you reside in California, you have additional rights over your Personal Data, subject to certain exceptions and limitations:
- The right to know what Personal Data we collect, use, and disclose (right to know);
- The right to request deletion of your Personal Data (right to erasure or deletion);
- The right to opt out of sales of your Personal Data; and
- The right to non-discrimination for exercising your CCPA rights.
You also have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for exercising your privacy rights, and we may not charge you a different amount for services, offer a different level or quality of services, or suggest you will receive a different price or rate for services if you exercise your privacy rights.
California Do Not Track Disclosure Do Not Track (“DNT”) is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking by advertisers and other third-parties. We do not respond to DNT signals.
We will address your concerns and attempt to resolve any privacy issues in a timely manner. Our representative will be in contact with you if we require additional information to complete our investigation or resolution of your complaint.